Friday 22 June 2018

BOOK REVIEW - BROKEN PROMISE BY LINWOOD BARCLAY

The first in the Trilogy, Broken Promise, by Linwood Barclay is a stunning read.

I turned over the page and read the last few words and ‘You Bastard’ flew out of my mouth.
Hmm, you could say and what does that mean? I am not prone to giving clues away but Broken Promise, first published in Britain in 2015, is the first one in a trilogy and that is all you will get from me. I met Linwood Barclay in Harrogate two years ago and he is back at The Theakston Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival again in July. He is fun to listen to. I thought that I should read another one of his books before then. It is set in Promise Falls, a fictional town located in the mind somewhere near to Albany in New York State.

Barclay has so much going and as the characters and the plots unfold you are led through the pages at a surprising pace. The interactions between family members are key. The chapters switch from one aspect of the main story to another part without confusion. Along the way there are side issues that also draw you in. It is a book about people, relationships, addiction and some very bad things. I loved it. He is an excellent story teller and a writer. I am a fan. But what will the next one, Far from True, reveal?

No comments:

Post a Comment