Thursday 13 July 2017

Iona

I could start off with a cliché, such has, the sun just fell out of the sky and there was only the odd cloud to get in its way, but I won't. There was a clear blue sky and it was shorts and T shirt weather. Yes, we are in Scotland and it is Iona. The scenery is spectacular and the water is clear.
On this Scottish summer's day this holy island was swamped with tourists. We would have preferred it to be quieter. However I was there not for spiritual enlightenment, but for the Corncrake. I heard two calling, but in the tall grasses and Irises they stayed hidden. So I had to be satisfied and reflect that the last one that I heard was when I was young. That is the price we pay for the modern methods in agriculture, but on Iona they have allowed the habitat to be 'old fashioned' so that this species survives here. It is reassuring to know that.

New birds for our trip were Rooks, Jackdaws, Wren and the sound of the 'Crake.
Later on we spent some time hoping to see Shirt-Eared Owl and Hen Harriers, but those two maybe for tomorrow. However we added both Common Sandpipers and Lapwings to our list.
We are not in the hunt for as many species as possible, but to have good views if what we see.
Tomorrow we are out on the boat again and then the ferry to Ulva in the afternoon.

We have been to and seen some wonderful parts of these two islands. I would say 'come here and visit'

No comments:

Post a Comment