Monday 27 February 2017

Razorbills in Torrevieja

Sunday 26th February was very misty which had cleared by the time we arrived in Torrevieja. It was the morning of their annual 10K and Half-Marathon. There is good evidence that spring has obviously arrived and later we were in full sun and the temperature went into the high teens.

Apart from the races and all the noise I walked out along the breakwater by 'The Man of the Sea' and before I had walked even half of the length I saw a small dark bird in the water and then I saw the unmistakeable shape and colour of a Razorbill/Alca Torda (in Spanish Alca Común). This second bird was easily viewed as it was only 100-200 metres distant, I watched it preening itself and splashing around in the water.

Crónicas Naturales de Torrevieja is worth following and this ad alerted me to the presence of this species and also in the inner Marina there were three Great-crested Grebes all which paid no attention to the noise of Sunday morning TORREVIEJA.

No comments:

Post a Comment