Thursday 11 August 2016

Eagle Owls around San Miguel de Salinas

Eagle Owls are numerous here, but they don't always pop up when you want them to. Ian, a birder, that I had met last Saturday wanted to see one. I have not been to the sites around San Miguel recently and so I wanted to check them out. Yesterday we travelled via Torremendo towards EstaciĆ³n to a well known site. We did hear noises, but nothing that I could definitely say was an Eagle Owl.
I expected to see some raptors flying into roost as I have noticed in the past, but tonight not one.
Wood Pigeons were obvious, a line of ducks flew over and too high to distinguish what species, but probably Mallards. A Common Swift was low enough to easily to distinguish from Pallid. Turtle Doves flew over and I was able to get a good sighting of one. There were some strange sounds and then a Scops Owl called - but we could only hear one. However that one call is the first one that I have heard around home.

On our return a Little Owl flew up from the side of the road and perched for us. I decided to try another location and took the Camino around La Pedrera. It was very quiet there and apart from Little Owls calling I heard nothing that I could identify as an Eagle Owl although my companion with
keener ears did hear some faint calls. No sighting then and no first for him. I will spend some more time checking out the sites and maybe concentrate on one nearer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment