Tuesday 9 February 2016

San Pedro del Pinatar

Tuesday morning was the first time this year that I heard a Great Tit sing in San Miguel. I know that they are known to sing in late winter, but this does seem early?
I had already decided to visit the salinas at San Pedro and this was to be a fairly quiet morning. The water by the car park only held Yellow-legged Gulls with no wader in sight until seven Turnstones flew in. However in the corner by the boardwalk leading to the beach where there were bushes I saw Chiff-chaffs with Sardinian Warblers being very active. Also Serin and Linnets flew. There usually are Kentish Plovers here, but not today. A Black Redstart caught my eye and I needed to check the book for this one as I did think that it was a female, but it appeared a bit drab and the mantle did not seem quite right, and so a first year male? A female Stonechat flew and I needed to look closely as the eye stripe was not that clear. I was hoping that it would be a Whinchat, but had to decide for the former.

There was a very good number of Avocet and Black-necked Grebe in the distance, some Shelduck and a single Godwit. A few Sanderling flew and I only saw one Common Sandpiper. There were the usual Black-winged Stilts and Flamingos and very little else. However spring is on its way and soon there will be much more to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment