Tuesday 16 October 2012

I walked out this morning and traced my footsteps from my springtime journeys. Obviously our African visitors had left but there was still plenty to hear and see. Two Linnets and a lone Greenfinch were high up on the wires. About 50 Goldfinces flew up and there must have been at least 30odd Linnets flying and feeding. I could hear a Sardinian Warbler rattling away and then it showed clearly. I went on to the canal and reedbed and there was activity all around me. I find it always pays to keep still and so I stood by a clump of reeds which were in full sun and waited. A female Blackcap - maybe a juvenile one - perched close at hand. Such a great view of it with its eye glinting in the sunlight.I moved on, heard Green Woodpecker calling and then saw a couple fly. A glimpse of red revealed a Robin. I searched the openings on the old farm buildings and there was a Little Owl sitting on a corner On the way back I stopped to look at a sunny scrubby bank and (I believe) a male Dartford Warbler briefly perched a top a bush. I could clearly see its 'cocked' tail and having checked the bird bible that's is what I think it is. A Partridge ran, another Sardinian popped up close by with a Great tit calling. I found it in an almond tree with a few Chaffinch. I think that this was an hour very well spent. I intend to do this regularly through the winter months and maybe focus on the Dartford, Cetti's and Zitting Cisticola as well. There are normally Southern Grey Shrikes here but not today. They may have had to move on as some of the reed had been cleared away.

No comments:

Post a Comment